PUBG Mobile will officially be back in India soon as confirmed by the parent company PUBG Corporation on Thursday. It was earlier reported that the South Korean company is planning for a return to the second largest internet market in the world.
In the announcement the company also said that it plans to make investment of about $100 million in India for the growth of local video game, esports, entertainment, and IT industries ecosystems.
In a statement on Thursday, PUBG Corporation said, “privacy and security of Indian player data being a top priority for PUBG Corporation, the company will conduct regular audits and verifications on the storage systems holding Indian users’ personally identifiable information to reinforce security and ensure that their data is safely managed.”
“Thanks to overwhelming community enthusiasm for PUBG esports in India, the company also plans to make investments by hosting India-exclusive esports events, which will feature the biggest tournaments, the largest prize pools, and the best tournament productions,” it said in a statement, adding that it also plans to hire over 100 employees in the country.
The company did not reveal any details about the new game that the company says has been specifically created for India.
About two months back, Government of India banned the PUBG Mobile and PUBG Mobile Lite along with other China-based apps in India over cybersecurity concerns.
Since, then PUBG Mobile has cut its ties with Tencent that is its publisher in many markets and in India. Last week, the company announced that it had inked a global deal with Microsoft to move all PUBG Mobile data as well as data from its other properties to Azure.
PUBG Corporation’s announcement doesn’t mentions that it has received confirmation from the Government of India to publish the game in the country yet.